[Fontconfig] confused about <alias> <prefer>

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Feb 26 11:15:04 EST 2003

Around 20 o'clock on Feb 25, Alan Chandler wrote:

> Is the functionality what would be expected.  Would it not be better for the
> at least the <alias> functions of <prefer> bind at the same strength as the
> alias it is prepended to, otherwise it just doesn't do its job

The strong/weak binding was added to resolve issues with language vs
family matching.  Strongly bound family names are more important in
matching than language which is more important that weakly bound family
names.  Before this change, language was actually *more* important than
family which prevented applications from being able to match family names
which didn't support the document language, even if explicitly selected by
the user.

The <prefer> binding is generally used when resolving the generic family
names (sans-serif, serif, monospace) and hence the names added should be
"weak" so that they don't end up overriding the "real" names provided by
applications.

I'm afraid the strong/weak binding lets the matching mechanism "show
through" the configuration language more than I'd like, but any
significant change in the existing mechanism would make for some
interesting bug reports from existing users.

-keith