[Fontconfig] Stripping AA completely from fonts

Ciprian Popovici ciprian at zuavra.net
Thu Jul 10 06:54:12 EST 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:36:36 -0400 Ambrose Li <acli at ada.dhs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:19:30PM +0300, Ciprian Popovici
> wrote:
>
> > How can I make fonts be rendered like, say, GTK1 does, that
> > is without any anti-aliasing whatsoever but still keeping
> > the main font "lines" clear. Simply turning AA off seems
> > to produce "mushy" characters, definitely not what I was
> > expecting.
> >
> > Please tell me if I'm not making sense, I will put some
> > pictures up somewhere. :)
>
> Certainly you are making sense, but I don't think you will
> really want to do that. Also, you probably should have better
> luck posting to the freetype or perhaps gtk list.
>
> If you really succeed to turn AA off completely, freetype2
> will use the X driver. It will, however, produce "deformed"
> characters at small sizes. Also if you run the application
> through a slow network connection, the application may be even
> slower than when AA is turned on.

I see what you mean. I've tried it with antialias=false, hinting=true
and autohint=false, it's the combination that produces the most bearable
rendering without AA for small font dimensions.

So what you're saying, basically, is that all apps that use
freetype2+fontconfig+xft will not be able to render fonts that look good
without AA at small sizes?

If so, it's quite the opposite of what I was wishing for back when AA
was still in diapers: no AA for small font sizes and AA for big font
sizes.

Is this even a fontconfig matter or should be addressed in freetype?

--
Ciprian Popovici