[Fontconfig] Single pass text and background

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jul 17 02:49:17 EST 2003

Around 16 o'clock on Jul 16, "Matthew Allen" wrote:

> I'm wondering whether there is a single pass method to draw text with a
> background using Xft? Just flat color, nothing special.

There is not currently such an API, but of course you could easily build
one on top of the existing API if you like by allocating a temporary
pixmap to build the composite image in.  This is precisely what Xft would
do internally as the X render extension doesn't provide this operation.

By allocating only a temporary pixmap, you wouldn't introduce any permanant
additional memory overhead.

If you added this code to Xft, you might want to optimize the non-Render
case to avoid the GetImage.

-keith