[Fontconfig] font pattern -> font file : without X11 dependencies?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 17 07:56:23 EST 2003

Around 13 o'clock on Mar 16, John Ellson wrote:

> Is there any example code for converting a font-pattern to a font
> filename *without* any X11 dependencies?

I don't know of any examples, but certainly Xft itself has code which does
that that you can rip out of the library and use.   The basic routine is
something like:

    if (!FcInit (0))
        return 0;

    FcConfigSubstitute (0, pattern, FcMatchPattern);
    FcDefaultSubstitute (pattern)

    match = FcFontMatch (0, pattern, result);
    return match;

'match' now contains all of the information needed to access the font file.

If you want to find a list of fonts, you use FcFontSort instead; that's
useful if you need to do glyph fill-in to handle glyphs not present in the
best matching font.

-keith