[Fontconfig] Type1 weights and style strings

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri May 2 00:22:54 EST 2003

Around 9 o'clock on May 1, Doug Larrick wrote:

> A while back you were looking for additional weights that Fontconfig is
> not recognizing when parsing type1 style names.  Here are two:
>
> Demi (as in Demibold)
> Book (like Regular)

Thanks.

> In general, there is very little standardization of weight names.  For
> example, I have a few Adobe fonts in Regular and Medium weights, both
> of which are assigned weight 100.

Would you believe that 'regular' weight fonts are considered lighter than
'medium' weight?

> I think it would be useful to be able to edit the weight value assigned to
> a font by fc-cache, perhaps as part of fonts.conf (which currently is not
> even read by fc-cache afaict).

I've been resisting rules that change the data extracted from fonts as
that makes all of the cache files depend on the configuration files; any
change to a configuration file may well invalidate all of the caches and
multiple different configurations would not be able to reliably share
caches.

Editing the computed values as they are loaded from the cache is another
possibility, but that would need to be made very efficient as cache

-keith