[Fontconfig] fc-cache segfaults on Hershey fonts

Patrick Smith patsmith at pobox.com
Tue Oct 7 14:12:18 EST 2003

The Hershey fonts from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ghostscript/gnu-gs-fonts-other-6.0.tar.gz cause
fc-cache to die with a "Segmentation fault".  This occurs with both the
  2.2.1 fc-cache and the 2.2.90 one.  It did not happen with the
fc-cache included in XFree86 4.3.0.1.

Admittedly, there are a couple of comments on the Web saying those fonts
are broken
(http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/8.2/i386/suse/i586/CheckHardware-0.1-555.i586.html
and http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/misc/SuSEconfig.fonts/fonts-config).
But a segfault is not exactly the ideal reaction.

This happened on a Linux system (kernel 2.4.22) running on a Macintosh
G4 Cube.

This isn't a big deal for me - I just deleted those fonts, as I don't
use them.  But I thought you might like to know.  :-)