[Fontconfig] TTF fonts etc.

JB somnambulist at inbox.ru
Fri Oct 3 08:28:24 EST 2003

I'm no newbie linuxuser but I've had this problem (well it's not really a problem, just a thing that annoys me a lot) for all my years of linux usage and have never been able to fix it. How do I get truetype-fonts to look exactly as good as they do in MS Windows? I've read many guides, tried many different "solution" but TT-fonts always look bad in some way or another.

Let's say I have just installed linux (slackware 9.1),  the latest XFree86 and fontconfig 2.2.0 (all clean installs) and haven't configured anything or done anything else with my linuxbox. Where do I go from here? Tthe fonts look scaly and weird from start and websites don't look as good as they do in Windows. I just want the fonts to look "right".

Can anyone explain to me how to do this?