[Fontconfig] Two missing features

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Wed Oct 15 18:34:25 EST 2003

Hi,

for Qt 3.2.x we were implementing support for Xft2/FontConfig, and noticed a
few missing features we could/would need to make our lifes (or the life of
our users) easier.

The biggest problem we encountered is that we have no way of knowing about
aliases defined in the fonts.conf files. Reason we need them is that we do
some font matching ourselves, and matching "serif" would always fail since we
didn't know this is a valid family name in font config. Another reason is
that IMO the user should be able to select these general families.

We could have hardcoded the three ones that are currently there, but I don't
think that this is the correct solution as the fonts.conf file can be edited.

One idea I had for this is an additional font property FC_SYNTHESIZED_FAMILY
or similar one could use together with FcFontList.

The other missing feature are having access to the localized family names true
type offers. This is especially important for asian people. Also here I'd be
happy with an additional font property FC_LOCALE_FAMILY I can pass into
FcFontList to have the localized names included in the pattern.

Cheers,
Lars