[Fontconfig] Windows, gtk2 and japanese fonts

Gaël Le Mignot kilobug at freesurf.fr
Wed Oct 22 17:33:54 EST 2003

Hello Tor!

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:15:46 +0000, you wrote:

 > Gaël Le Mignot writes:
 >> I wrote a  gtk2 application in Python (with pygtk2) and  I had to port
 >> it on MS  Windows. It works fine on Debian GNU/Linux,  and fine too on
 >> MS Windows  until I try display japanese  characters. Those characters
 >> are just  displayed as squares.

 > Have you checked whether this particular combination (especially the
 > pygtk2 part) on Windows handles non-ASCII at all?

I remember having  latin1 characters (like é) on  gtk on windows once,
but I don't remember if it was gtk1 or gtk2.

Anyway, inputing  japanese and  then saving it  works, it's  just that
glyphs are not displayer.

 > If yes, you should check that the file <top>\etc\pango\pango.aliases
 > (where <top> is your Pango installation location) contains the names
 > of fonts you have that provide the necessary Japanese characters.

I'll try that, tahnks

 >> even  notepad  can display  the  same japanese text.

 > Really? Does Notepad handle UTF-8? Or do you mean the same Japanese
 > text, but in UTF-16?

Notepad  of windows 2k  handles UTF-8,  not the  one of  9x (including
millenium) (I don't know for XP, I never used XP)

--
Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug" - kilobug at nerim.net - http://kilobug.free.fr
GSM         : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France)   ICQ UIN   : 7299959

Member of HurdFr: http://hurdfr.org - The GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org