[Fontconfig] Font matching in Unicode locales

Ambrose Li acli at ada.dhs.org
Sat Oct 25 15:21:40 EST 2003

This problem also plagues Chinese speakers (e.g., specifying
Sans or in fact any sans font would make the application
use kanji from perhaps two different fonts, with the wrong
prioritization), but mentioning Mozilla is probably not fair for
fontconfig, since Mozilla seems to be doing its own thing (e.g.,
it seems to always prefer Korean fonts by default for some
strange reason -- something that does not seem to be happening
with other apps --, even though using Korean punctuation marks
would be usually wrong for both Chinese and Japanese).

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 01:09:50AM -0400, John Alexander Thacker
wrote:

> I have a real problem with fontconfigi-2.2.1 selecting
> the wrong fonts for the Sans alias when I'm in a Unicode
> locale, specifically en_US.UTF-8.  It seems that fontconfig
> prioritizes the current language setting too much, which is
> a real problem when the intended glyphs come from a language
> other than English.

[...]

--
Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <a.c.li at ieee.org>