[Fontconfig] Font matching in Unicode locales

John Alexander Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Sun Oct 26 01:36:49 EST 2003

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 09:35:24AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Well, actually, you are almost certainly going to have to tell the
> rendering system that you are rendering Japanese to get good results
> when you render Japanese. There is no reliable automatic way to tell
> that text is in Japanese rather than Chinese or Korean.

Sure, that's true, although it still should be possible to set a
preferred CJK font for rending Han characters, IMO.

> It's also possible to put magic in your fonts.conf to replace 'en'
> language tags with 'en,ja'. That would be an immediate workaround
> for your problem, though I don't consider it a solution.

Wouldn't the right workaround be to replace "ja" with "ja,en" instead?
I want to make the Japanese fonts available under an English Unicode
locale, right?  Now, in the current Fedora Core release, you made a
workaround since language matching doesn't work correctly, so I guess
I have to match on the font names explicitly.  I thought the correct
syntax should look like:

<match target="font">
	<test name="family" compare="eq">
        	<string>Kochi Mincho</string>
        </test>
	<edit name="lang" mode="append">
		<string>en</string>
	</edit>
</match>

But this doesn't seem to have any effect.  Nor does putting a comma
before "en" work.  Using "assign" instead of "append" and trying to
assign "ja,en" doesn't work either.  It seems that no matter what I
do, Kochi Mincho keeps the same list of supported languages, according
to fc-list.  Perhaps I have the syntax wrong?

Maybe I should try 2.2.90 or the CVS version of fontconfig?

John Thacker