[Fontconfig] /usr/local/share/fonts

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Sun Oct 26 21:32:47 EST 2003

Currently, there is no standard way for the system administrator to add
fonts for all users on the system. By default, fontconfig reads
directories in /usr, and ~/.fonts, but nowhere in /usr/local. Thus,
frontends or users install fonts in various places such as
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts (see KDE bug#66510), violating the FHS.

That's why I suggest to add /usr/local/share/fonts to the list of
directories to be searched for fonts. Unless there is a better
proposition, I'll add it to the Debian package, and I believe it would
be wise to make it a standard place.

Regards,
: :' :           josselin.mouette at ens-lyon.org
`. `'                        joss at debian.org