[Fontconfig] Aliases

Enrique Perez-Terron enrio at online.no
Thu Apr 1 11:04:05 EST 2004

Hello all,

As far as I understood this issue, it started out with a request to be
able to list the font names that an application can "ask for" without
being turned down. (Yes, I know fontconfig does not turn programs down,
but considering the bad match it would be to use the last-resort default
font for a requested one that only contains antique Egyptian hieroglyphs
in some non-standard encoding, this is as good as turning one down.)

I don't quite see how it would infringe trademarks if this piece of
factual information is made available. I believe not all cases of naming
a trademark constitute an infringement. I am no lawyer and I would
appreciate any clarification from any competent person, but until so
happens I think infringement happens primarily when another product is
offered to the public under the protected name. There are a number of
twists to this issue, like using a protected name in ways that
subconsciously transfers the positive conotations associated with the
protected name to the product being offered, or to the offerer. I doubt
"someone might misunderstand the intent" is a sufficient reason for
considering a quote of a name an infringement.

If I receive a document in some foreign format, that specifies it was
prepared with a particular Adobe font in mind, but fails to characterize
this font in any way, I find it far-fetched to consider the specified
font's name a "generic description of style". The substitution of a
suitable available font for the named one will have to rely on
information about that font (i.e., a description of it) residing
somewhere else than in the document, in casu, in one of the
configuration files of fontconfig. The information in this configuration
file would be saying something like "Font X(possibly a tm) is
reasonably, or even best, approximated with font Y(possibly a tm), of
all fonts available on this system".

The question the OP wants to ask fontconfig could be rephrased "about
which fonts is sufficient information available on this system so that a
suitable substitution can be chosen?". Again, I believe providing an
answer to this question is a right under free speech, not a trademark
infringement. I further believe this and similar information could
legally be given in a printed (and publicly sold) book, hardcoded into a
program, etc.

Surely, trademark issues are important, but it would be unfortunate to
limit the scope of free software because of a poor understanding of the
legal issues.

Regards,
Enrique