[Xorg] Re: [Fontconfig] adding/distributing new fonts

Edward G.J. Lee edt1023 at ms17.hinet.net
Mon Aug 9 01:23:58 EST 2004

Hello,

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004, Ambrose Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 08:45:57AM +0900, Soon-Son Kwon wrote:
>
> > I think font is something like picture or novel which does
> > not need to be freely modified. The font designers won't like
> > that though some will. I remember that in the current xorg
> > distribution, modifiable/non-modifiable fonts are mixed.
>
> I agree that the designers won't like it, but I disagree that
> fonts need not be freely modified. I can see a couple of reasons
> why free fonts should be freely modifiable like free software:
>
> 1. to correct bugs in the font (e.g., wrong character in a CJK
>    font), and

  We had released Dr. Wang's Chinese GNU GPL TrueType fonts recently,

  ftp://cle.linux.org.tw/pub2/fonts/wangfonts
  ftp://ftp.tnc.edu.tw/pub/freefont/wangnew/
  http://cle.linux.org.tw/fonts/wangfonts/

> 2. to make other relatively easy improvements (e.g., by merging
>    a Big5 and a GB font to improve the Unicode coverage)

  FireFly had released Arphic New Sung too(Arphic PL, GPL-like),

  http://www.study-area.org/apt/firefly-font/

  AR PL New Sung = AR PL Mingti2L Big5 + AR PL SungtiL GB

> >From a sort-of user point of view, it would be fine enough if
> the designers can be contacted (so the improvements can be
> sent), but I have run into fonts where I don't know who the
> designer is.
>
> Cheers,

Edward