[Xorg] Re: [Fontconfig] adding/distributing new fonts

Ambrose Li acli at ada.dhs.org
Tue Aug 10 02:30:14 EST 2004

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:22:18PM +0800, Edward G.J. Lee wrote:

>   But I don't think it's easy to add more characters, because
>   we don't have another free fonts and APL is not GPL
>   compatible.

I had asked both Arphic and the FSF about this matter some
months ago, though I was not thinking about adding characters
from other fonts. It should be ok as long as we construct the
new characters from existing parts inside the APL'd fonts
themselves, or construct the new characters from scratch.

It should not be difficult to add more CJK characters, though
of course the quality of the new characters would be lower (in
fact I have already started doing it at that time, but stopped
shortly afterwards because it took a lot of time and fontforge
was using too much memory on my machine).

Best regards,
--
黎爵榮  <a.c.li at ieee.org>  http://ada.dhs.org/~acli/