[Fontconfig] Localizing font family and style names

Phil Race Phil.Race at Sun.COM
Wed Dec 1 04:20:50 EST 2004

Keith,

 > You want me to take a "family" name as provided by the user and attempt to
 > match it against a full name?  I'm not sure that's necessary; these names

No. I didn't mean that.
I was trying to describe that because in our code we accept both
we need to be able to enumerate both so that we can try to match
first as a face name and if that fails as a family name. That's
application level behaviour (my code). I don't expect, or think
it right that fontconfig get into the same predicament
of doing this automatically and as you say conflating the two.
A clear separation of the two is better.

 > What I was actually asking was whether you wanted me to permit applications
 > to supply full names (as an FC_FULLNAME pattern element) and match them
 > against the full names in the fonts as a separate match from family and
 > style names.

Yes, that's it. FC_FULLNAME is a distinct pattern element

-phil.