[Fontconfig] asian font configuration

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Fri Dec 10 01:37:57 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:27:46PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> That's probably just that the ko.lang file has too many glyphs.  We can fix
> this easily enough.  Place all of your Korean fonts in a directory and run:
>
>  $ cd <directory containing korean fonts>
>  $ FC_DEBUG=384 fc-cache -f .

Ah, thanks, I always forget that command.  Here's a couple of notes:

Currently Russian (ru) requires 0406 and 0456 (І and і), but these
were eliminated in Russian in 1918 in favor of 0418 and 0438 (И and и),
and don't even appear in KOI8-R.  (The hypothesis that they don't appear
in KOI8-R due to their similarity with Latin I and i is eliminated by
their presence in KOI8-U.)  I have a couple of fonts with Russian support
that don't have the letter.

Therefore, 0406 and 0456 should be removed from or commented out of ru.orth

How necessary are the accented characters for English?  I have a decent
number of fonts designed to cover English but which lack the accented
characters currently required (i.e., 00c0, 00c7-00cb, 00cf, 00d1, 00d4,
00d6, 00e0, 00e7-00eb, 00ef, 00f1, 00f4, 00f6).  My understanding of
English orthography is that they are optional.  (Similarly, we don't
require the oe and especially the ae ligatures, despite their use in
British spellings, and æ's presence in ISO 8859-1.)

John Thacker