[Fontconfig] asian font configuration

Ambrose Li acli at ada.dhs.org
Tue Dec 14 00:49:30 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 02:17:28AM -0500, John Thacker wrote:

> Yet, since so many Korean fonts are based on KS X 1001 / KS
> C 5601, it's reasonable to follow it and not include the
> extra precomposed syllables, and restrict to only the Hangul
> syllables in the list Tor provided.  However, the 4882 Hanja
> are definitely part of the standard no matter what.  I'm
> somewhat surprised that so many fonts would not have them at
> all, but it certainly must be easier.  (Just as it's easier
> to not include accented characters in fonts designed for
> English.)

A similar situation exists for Chinese fonts: Many commercial
traditional Chinese fonts (esp. if they are "decorative" in some
sense) used to only contain the "frequently used" portion of
Big5; such fonts would not be detected as Chinese fonts.

However, I haven't been using commercial Chinese fonts for the
past few years, so the above is likely very outdated information
and probably no longer true.

That said, I still imagine the fonts that are missing the hanja
would likely to also be "decorative" in nature, or used for
emphasis, etc.