[Fontconfig] Overly aggresive English orthography?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Dec 14 13:26:26 EST 2004

Around 17 o'clock on Dec 13, John Thacker wrote:

> That is part of it.  The problem is that there are several possible goals
> and situations.  There are two different approaches.  One is to render
> an entire document with a single font when possible.  Another approach is
> to render different orthographies in a single document with the "best"
> font for each orthography/language.

I believe these two approaches must be used in conjunction, and that
software can 'guess' when each approach should be used, but provisions for
user-specified overrides may need to be permitted.  No single approach
will work for all documents and users.

However, we should strive for reasonable and predictable behaviour from
fontconfig so that people aren't just confused by the weird results and
have some chance of actually figuring out how to make it do what they want.

> E.g., if I'm reading something in English which suddenly quotes Dutch
> and uses ij or references a Welsh placename and uses ŵ, then maybe I just
> want the whole document to use Verdana, which contains both, rather than
> using Luxi Sans for everything except the words containing those two
> letters, even though Luxi Sans is normally my first choice for English.

As Fontconfig can't know about the actual document content directly, the
only way to have applications automatically present this as you desire is
to have them construct the set of necessary Unicode values for the
document and ask Fontconfig for fonts containing those codepoints.  The
use of lang tags in fontconfig is both a short-hand notation for these
Unicode sets and a predictive mechanism for guessing what future glyphs
may be presented for drawing.

-keith