[Fontconfig] Changing the binding of faimly name without changing family name

Hing-Wah Wan hingwah at gnupilgrims.org
Fri Jan 16 05:02:16 EST 2004

Hi,

    I have some display problem that english letter is displayed using
chinese fonts which look ugly with the configuration such as this:

    <alias>
        <family>Font1</family>
        <family>Font2</family>
        <family>Font3</family>
        <family>Font4</family>
        <family>Font5</family>
    </alias>
<alias>
   <family>sans-serif</family>
    <prefer>
         <family>Verdana</family>
          <family>MingLiU</family>
    </prefer>
</alias>

The problem of this is because I have a locale of zh_TW.Big5 and
"lang=zh-tw" properties will be added to the pattern to be substitued.
The substitution of family name  have a weak binding instead of strong
binding so that MingLiU will have higher score and used to render
english fonts since lang element have higher order than family name.To
solve the issue, i added this:

    <match target="pattern">
     <test qual="any" name="family"  compare="eq">
        <string>Verdana</string>
    </test>
     <edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="strong">
    <string>Verdana</string>
     </edit>
    </match>

However,this need also to be applied to Font1,Font2,Font3.Instead of
writting duplicate match statement  by replacing "Verdana" with
"Font1/Font2/Font3.." . Is that any way to change the binding without
reassigning family name with same value,so that only one  single match
statement need to be written?

Thanks