[Fontconfig] what's up with linux fonts lately?

Ciprian Popovici ciprian at zuavra.net
Thu Jul 29 05:57:39 EST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:07:47 -0700 (PDT) synaptical
<synaptical at linuxquestions.net> wrote:
> how would i go about locating these stray libraries to see if they were
> causing the problem, and then finding and linking to the ones that would
> fix things again? i think you might be right that something is screwy
> with the libraries, b/c as i said, when i tried to sym link from /usr/lib
> to the newer libraries installed in /usr/local/lib, the fonts looked
> worse.

Try doing a find over all the filesystem. Look for things like this:

find / -name libfontconfig*.so* \
-or -name libfreetype*.so* \
-or -name libXft*.so*

Should find something along these lines:

/opt/freetype2/lib/libfreetype.so.6.3.5
/opt/freetype2/lib/libfreetype.so.6
/opt/freetype2/lib/libfreetype.so
/opt/xft/lib/libXft.so.2.1.1
/opt/xft/lib/libXft.so.2
/opt/xft/lib/libXft.so
/opt/fontconfig/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.0.4
/opt/fontconfig/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
/opt/fontconfig/lib/libfontconfig.so

If you find more than this you may have a problem. Disregard libXft.so.1
which comes with X, that's OK. OpenOffice also comes with its own
libfreetype.so.6, I usually preload my own in the swriter script. Anyway,
get back to us with anything suspicious.

--
Ciprian Popovici