[Fontconfig] FontConfig Errors

Viraj Chatterjee viraj_chatterjee at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 20:31:32 EST 2004

Whenever I launch my GTK+ based application on a
client's machine (Red Hat 8.0, 9.0), I get the
following two errors:

Fontconfig error: line 1: unknown encoding
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

On searching the Internet, someone hinted that it is
possible that the /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file isn't in
an encoding that fontconfig can understand correctly
and hence the problem. Though, I found no errors with
the said file. The fc-list and fc-cache commands work
correctly and I also tried force converting the
fonts.conf file to UTF-8 and then trying to launch my
application, but that too didn't help.

Any ideas, on what might be wrong?