[Fontconfig] Aliases

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Mar 31 13:21:54 EST 2004

Around 0 o'clock on Mar 31, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> I would tend to agree with Adam here.  Preventing the user from
> infringing on trademarks is not fontconfig's business; it's the
> business of law enforcing agencies.

Of course; what we want is to allow people to get their work done without
forcing them to infringe on trademarks.  Fontconfig does half of that job
already; providing a way to accept trademarked names and match them
apprproiately while allowing people to leave those same names out of the
application font menus.

Now it seems like we've figured out that we want the other piece as well;
providing a way to get new names to appear in the font list which are then
mapped to other fonts.  I can imagine this would be really nice for
presenting localized font names, as well as the existing generic stuff
that gnome has kludged into place.

Let's try to get some use models and proposed semantics set out so we can
start figuring out how this should work.

-keith