[Fontconfig] sub-pixel hinting turned on when started using DVI cavle to monitor

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat May 8 01:45:01 EST 2004

Around 22 o'clock on Apr 27, Jim Higson wrote:

> So the bit that (AFAIK) should enable sub-pixel rendering is commented out!
> Not sure what to do now. The annoying colours around all my fonts is enough
> to make a guy switch to GNOME!

You can take precisely the same code, replace the <const>rgb</const> with
<const>none</const> and stick it into ~/.fonts.conf (wrapped in suitable
XML headers and footers, of course)

Gnome includes a control panel which selects which kind of font display
you get; I thought KDE provided one as well.

> This is getting to be rather frustrating. Just because someone starts using
> a DVI-D connector the computer shouldn't automatically switch without
> telling them!

That's supposed to be a feature -- the system automatically discovers that
you're using an LCD monitor and enables sub-pixel text.

-keith