[Fontconfig] fonts.conf problem

Salman Khilji skhilji at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 08:54:02 EST 2004

I am using Ubuntu 1.0 with GNOME 2.8, fontconfig 2.2.2, and XFree86
4.3.99.

I want to disable anti-aliasing below certain sizes EXCEPT for the
monospace font, which I want anti-aliased at all sizes.  With the
settings that I have chosen in /etc/fonts/local.conf, fonts like
Verdana, Arial are behaving as expected---i.e. they are not anti-aliased
at a size of 14 pts---at 15 points and above, they are anti-aliased.

Monospace font, however, is not behaving as expected.  In gEdit, the
monospace font is NOT anti-aliased at a size of 10 pts.  Above 10 pts,
it is anti-aliased (I am not specifying a size of 10 pts anywhere---so I
do not know where this magical # of 10 comes from).

I have two match blocks in my /etc/fonts/local.conf.  The first one is
supposed to turn off antialiasing for all fonts below 14.5 pts except
monospace.  The second block is supposed to turn on anti-aliasing for
the monospace font at all sizes.  However, this does not work as
expected.  If I take both of these blocks away, then the monospace font
is anti-aliased at all sizes---but the rest of the fonts are also
anti-aliased at all sizes----something that is not desirable.

Here is a snippet from my /etc/fonts/local.conf:

  <match target="font">
    <test qual="all" name="family" compare="not_eq">
      <string>monospace</string>
    </test>
    <test name="pixelsize" compare="less">
      <double>14.5</double>
    </test>
    <edit name="antialias">
      <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>
  <match target="pattern">
    <test qual="all" name="family" compare="eq">
      <string>monospace</string>
    </test>
    <edit name="antialias">
      <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>

BTW, Linux systems try to anti-alias at all sizes---this is not right.
If we compare this to Windows XP, we will see that fonts below a size of
about 13 pts are not anti-aliased.  This is because smaller fonts when
anti-aliased tend to appear fuzzy without really adding any benefit.  I
think Linux vendors should follow this by default as well so that I
don't have to go through this pain.

It just that the way the monospace font is made, it has to be
anti-aliased even at smaller sizes---otherwise it appears rough on the
screen.

Salman