[Fontconfig] performance optimizations

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Oct 14 02:35:40 EST 2004

Around 8 o'clock on Oct 13, Owen Taylor wrote:

> An internal organization on this would
> help FcFontMatch a lot, but as far as I can see, isn't going to be
> any use for FcFontSort.

We can pull up Unicode information to the internal tree nodes and trim
large swaths of the search space that way.

> The big thing that needs to be cached in Pango is actually FcFontSort()
> results ... there are some performance problems with the Pango font
> iteration APIs currently due to the slowness of FcFontMatch() but that's
> really peripheral.

It might be reasonable to push that down into Fontconfig if we find other
applications doing the same thing.

> What would help a *lot* in reducing the size of that cache would be to
> finesse BDF/PCF fonts in some way and make the FcFontSort results
> independent of pixel size. Not that I have any good idea for how to do
> that.

That's easy -- migrate the BDF/PCF fonts to TTF files which include all of
the sizes in a single file.  That will dramatically reduce the number of
entries in the database.

-keith