[Fontconfig] Font problem after installing fontconfig.

David Berlind berlind at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 00:22:44 EST 2004

At the suggestion of the GTK+ web site, which I needed to install for
Ethereal, I needed to install Pango, and to make that work, needed
Fontconfig.  I recently ran an installation of fontconfig and it wiped
out my X interface.  The error message reported a font problem.  So, I
reinstalled XFree86 (one suggestion) and I'm still getting an  error.
Here is what it says when I try to start the GUI:

Could not init font path element /usr/x11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/x11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
removing from list!

these directories exist with files in them.

When the GUI comes up, I just get a gray screen with the X in the
middle.  None of the user interface elements come up.  I have to do a
CTRL-ALT-BKSPC to kill the X Server.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide

David