[Fontconfig] Reg. fontconfig and adding a new font for Greek

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Aug 18 01:22:00 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 17:19 +0300, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> On Τρίτη 16 Αύγουστος 2005 20:38, Keith Packard wrote:
> > You can verify which font is selected for your locale by using
> >
> > 	$ fc-match :lang=el-GR
> >
> > This should present the first font in your environment which fully
> > supports Greek.
> >
> > In any case, pango should never display little boxes if you have a
> > greek font on your machine as it will always search through all
> > available fonts when the requested font is missing a glyph.
>
> Right, found the problem. Apparently some fonts register themselves as
> supporting the Greek glyphs, which is false, and fontconfig/pango
> uses these assuming that this is the case. I'll file a bug report to
> these fonts:

Fontconfig actually does reasonably careful checks for each font,
ignoring glyphs which are advertised in the mapping but which do not
contain an outline (a common case for sub-setted fonts).

> ttf-bistream-vera (Bitstream fonts)
> gsfonts (all the Nimbus fonts)

Fontconfig says that these do not support the el-GR locale.

> But, as I don't know the response of the font maintainers yet, maybe
> it would be possible to apply some sort of filtering in the
> fontconfig package? just an idea.

It looks like fontconfig has already done this work.

-keith