[Fontconfig] Finding font filename

Teus Benschop teus at teusbenschop.nl
Thu Dec 22 07:01:22 PST 2005

Hello,

Given a name, like "Bitstream Charter 16", is there any way to get the
path to the actual font file out of that?

I've got an editor with a font selection dialog in Gtk, and when
printing text to pdf, it uses fop (http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/),
and fop again needs the path to the actual font, e.g.
/usr/X11R6/lib/x11/fonts/CharisSILR.ttf, to properly display Unicode text.

I've been trying to find out how to get that path, and looked through
the fontconfig documentation, and get the impression that fontconfig,
should be able to provide it, but the big question is: How???

Thanks a lot,

Teus Benschop.