[Fontconfig] Help: fonts disappeared when moving from XFree86 to XOrg

Joseph Harvell jharvell at dogpad.net
Fri Jan 7 04:53:49 EST 2005

I just upgraded from XFree86 4.3.0.1 to Xorg 6.8.0-r3 on a Gentoo
distribution of Linux.

I noticed immediately that the fonts in an OpenOffice.org document I am
working on look different (in a bad way).  This messes up some of the
formatting in the document that is dependent on font size (table column
widths, etc.).  When I looked at the log files for the startup of
XFree86 and Xorg, I noticed that the Xorg installation is complaining
about missing Speedo fonts that were present in the XFree86 log file.

I didn't realize Openoffice was using fonts provided by my X Server.  Is
there a problem with my Xorg installation?  Can I install the missing
font and then my OpenOffice.org document will be formatted correctly again?

The font I was primarily using in the OpenOffice.org document is named
"Nimbus Roman No9 L" and I was using mostly 12pt.

I don't know if this is the right group to post to but I figured I need
font expertise.