[Fontconfig] Using MS licenses

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jan 11 12:40:25 EST 2005

Around 0 o'clock on Jan 11, Benjamin Rossen wrote:

> I happen to have a cupboard of legitimate Windows licenses, from win 95, eight
> Win NT 4.0 licenses and more. This makes me a license user of the fonts. I
> have moved the fonts from my Windows XP to my RH Fedora 3, with excellent
> results; everything in true type.

Microsoft released their 'web fonts' under a free (as in beer) license
several years ago and you can find them at

	http://fontconfig.org/webfonts

So, even without a MS license, you can at least get these common fonts
specified in web pages.

They can't be included in a Linux distribution, but anyone can make them
available for free as long as the license is obeyed.

-keith