[Fontconfig] No fonts found: OS-X

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Tue Jan 18 13:40:35 EST 2005

I've been trying in vain to get an opensource development environment
installed on OS-X for a couple of weeks now.
The main thorn in my paw has been the error ( which appears whenever I
launch a Gtk2 app ):

No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

I have X working. glxinfo shows I have hardware acceleration ( I know
it's not relevant, but anyway ) and glxgears flies :)

I've done a LOT of installing and uninstalling of stuff since I began,
but at the moment, I'm pretty sure I've got the following system:

- OS-X 10.3.7
- XFree86 4.4.0 installed from binaries on xfree86 website
- Gtk2 and all dependancies ( including fontconfig ) installed via
darwinports

darwinports originally installed a version of X which didn't work, so I
moved that out of the way ( mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6_BAK ) and installed
XFree86 from binaries. Actually I've had a few versions of XFree86
installed on here. The one from Apple's website only worked sometimes -
others it would give a strange error about an incorrectly formed package
or some garbage, so I moved onto XFree86's. Each time I installed a new
version of X, I moved the old one out of the way. I also then told
darwinports to reinstall fontconfig ( in case it put something in
/usr/X11R6 ... I don't know if it does or not, but it can't hurt, right? ).

Anyway, I'm sorry for making such a mess of my new Powerbook. Can anyone
give me a list of reasons why fontconfig would give the above error?
I've checked the obvious ... I have an /etc/fonts directory, with
fonts.conf and fonts.dtd. Both these files look OK - they have the
correct directories for an OS-X system, and there are fonts in the
directories mentioned in the config files.

Help! :)

Dan