[Fontconfig] MultiLanguage support

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 20 16:11:25 EST 2005

Around 16 o'clock on Jan 19, pallavi elkawar wrote:

> I have installed true type fonts to support above languages. how do I use
> fontconfig in my application, so that it will load most matching font
> files? do I need to call fontconfig in my application?

It depends on what mechanism you are using to draw the text.  If it's a
Gtk+ application using Pango, then (I believe) Pango has functions you can
use to set the language of various portions of the document.  I don't
know, but suspect that Qt provides similar functions.

If you are building a raw X application using Xft, I would first suggest
that you reconsider and use one of the two toolkits mentioned above,
failing that, you can specify the text language in the pattern passed to
Xft.  If you don't specify anything, Xft will use the current locale
setting as a guess as to the document language.

-keith