[Fontconfig] Tools to ensure at least minimal functionality

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Mon Jan 24 23:56:06 EST 2005

Le dimanche 23 janvier 2005 à 19:29 +0100, Enrique Perez-Terron a
écrit :
> I just upgraded my FC2 box to FC3 and found that the display manager gdm
> was unable to show the login prompts. Instead it kept restarting every
> few seconds, switching to virtual console 7 each time - making it quite
> hard and unpleasant to recover.
>
> It turned out to be due to a config.cache-1 file listing non-existent
> Vera.ttf and friends. This was the first font on the list of preferred
> sans-serif fonts.
>
> While this is really something that the gdm maintainers should look at,
> it made me think a step further:  The distributions'
> installation/upgrade software need to check that at least the user root
> has a minimally working font configuration, no matter what the users
> have left behind of configuration files that worked or did not work with
> the previous os.

This is all what dependencies are about. I fail to see why things should
be different for the font subsystem.

As for the problem you are talking about, this is probably a matter for
the upgrade scripts. fc-cache should be run automatically after each
installation or uninstallation of font packages.
: :' :           josselin.mouette at ens-lyon.org
`. `'                        joss at debian.org