[Fontconfig] fontconfig configuration file

Thomas De Schampheleire spamfree at patrickdepinguin.com
Sat Jul 23 06:17:41 EST 2005

Thanks for pointing me Jeremy,

Running fc-list does not give any errors, and the trace doesn't point to
an error.

The error I get is during the start of X... So I tried tracing the
startx command, but there is no reference at all to anything that has to
do with fontconfig.

I tried tracing startkde, but didn't really find a clue. In the
.xsession_errors file I get:

[..]
startkde: Starting up...
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
kbuildsycoca running...
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary:
/opt/kde/lib/kde3/kcm_kdnssd.so: undefined symbol: init_kdnssd
kxkb: WARNING: Unable to open /tmp/kde-thomas/dvorak.xkm: No such file
or directory
ERROR: Communication problem with khotkeys, it probably crashed.
[..]

And in the startkde script I see:

[..]
echo 'startkde: Starting up...'  1>&2

# run KPersonalizer before the session, if this is the first login
if kreadconfig --file kpersonalizerrc --group General --key FirstLogin
--default true --type bool; then
     # start only dcopserver, don't start whole kdeinit (takes too long)
     echo 'startkde: Running kpersonalizer...'  1>&2
     dcopserver
     kwin --lock &
     kpersonalizer --before-session
     # handle kpersonalizer restarts (language change)
     while test $? -eq 1; do
         kpersonalizer --r --before-session
     done
     dcopquit kwin
     dcopserver_shutdown --wait
fi

# the splashscreen and progress indicator
splash=`kreadconfig --file ksplashrc --group KSplash --key Theme`
if test "$splash" = "None"; then
     echo >/dev/null #nothing
elif test "$splash" = "Simple"; then
     ksplashsimple
else
     ksplash --nodcop
fi

# certain features such as Konqueror preloading work only with full KDE
running
KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
export KDE_FULL_SESSION

# We set LD_BIND_NOW to increase the efficiency of kdeinit.
# kdeinit unsets this variable before loading applications.
LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit
if test $? -ne 0; then
   # Startup error
   echo 'startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.'  1>&2
   xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start kdeinit. Check your
installation."
fi

# finally, give the session control to the session manager
# if the KDEWM environment variable has been set, then it will be used
as KDE's
# window manager instead of kwin.
# if KDEWM is not set, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
# kwrapper is used to reduce startup time and memory usage
# kwrapper does not return usefull error codes such as the exit code of
ksmserver.
# We only check for 255 which means that the ksmserver process could not be
# started, any problems thereafter, e.g. ksmserver failing to initialize,
# will remain undetected.
test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
if test $? -eq 255; then
   # Startup error
   echo 'startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.'
  1>&2
   xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start ksmserver. Check your
installation."
fi
[..]

Obviously, the first lines correspond to each other. But I can't figure
out where the configuration file of fontconfig is opened.

How can I trace this?

Thanks