[Fontconfig] commit (branch): read and write cache files.

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Jul 26 05:47:55 EST 2005

Patrick> I wonder if we should manually pack the FcStaticPtr into,
Patrick> say, 24 bits for offset and 8 bits for bank. ...  The banked
Patrick> data structures enable per-directory caches.

Patrick> The only remaining issue is that FcObjectPtr is now an int,
Patrick> and we want to keep it that way.  We can probably do
Patrick> something clever there, maybe again the 24/8 split or
Patrick> something.

If either of those limit the number of fonts.cache-2 files to 256 it
will break.  Some users will tend to dump all of their fonts into a
single directory, but others will group them one dir per family or
similar.  Some will have CDs with hundreds of fonts and will copy
the CD wholesale and include the whole thing with a single entry
in fonts.conf.  Others will pick and choose.  Any split between
the number of cache files and the number of font files in each
cache file will be a problem if you want to pack it into only
32 bits -- even though 32 bits can enumerate many times more
fonts than anyone would have installed.

OTOH, if bank and dir are not 1::1, then:

      <gilda>Nevermind.</gilda>

:-)

-JimC
--