[Fontconfig] [patch]: mmapping FontConfig data structures

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jun 10 13:30:32 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 22:51 -0400, Patrick Lam wrote:

> On my system, my modified version of fontconfig mmaps 147786 bytes
> into memory (instead of creating around 100k of dynamic data
> structures).  I believe that this patch is stable; it produces no
> differences in behaviour as compared to a stock fontconfig under
> my tests.

I haven't looked at the patch in detail, so some of these questions
may actually make incorrect assumptions.

 1)	What happens if you can't mmap the cache files at the
	necessary address?
 2)	Different users have different sets of font
	directories. Does this patch support that?
 3)	What about the new <selectfont> elements? These may
	also vary for different users.

-keith