[Fontconfig] Re: [patch]: mmapping FontConfig data structures

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 10 23:12:18 EST 2005

James Cloos wrote:
> I've grabbed the (two) new versions and will try them.
>
> But with the original version fc-mmap unlink(2)s the mmap file after
> generating it.  I upgraaded fc via gentoo's emerge, so the binaries
> are strip(1)ed, preventing real debugging for now, but this is the
> end of a trace:

Thanks for ths strace.  fc-mmap/fc-mmap unlinks in self-defense when it
gets an error code from a syscall, e.g. on your system, mmap() with a
requested length of 0 just fails.  I've wrapped that particular mmap in
a conditional in:

http://plam.csail.mit.edu/~plam/tmp/fontconfig-mmap-050610.diff

This version should work on your system.  Let me know what happens.

(I also made one other change, which prevents some unnecessary mmapping.
 Surprisingly, mmap can validly return 0x0 and it isn't a failure.)

pat