[Fontconfig] A question about font styles

Ambrose Li acli at ada.dhs.org
Tue Mar 8 05:09:05 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:52:16AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

> Which is precisely what font foundaries often end up doing.
> I bought a family last week (Cloister Old Style) from
> myfonts.com only to find that the four standard variants
> had four separate family names.  I had to go edit them with
> fontforge.

Which brings up another question:

I have been wondering whether someone has entertained the idea
that fontconfig (or some other layer) can have a config file
that specifies something like "the italic version of this
font is that font" or "the bold version of this font is that
font", or, "to get CJK/Cyrillic/Hebrew/Arabic characters from
this font, use that font". (This is basically how WordPerfect
5.0 handled fonts.)

Perhaps it had been suggested and even voted down; I don't know
:-)

Now that the WangNew fonts are here, the point is probably a
little bit moot, but back in the days that we had almost no
free CJK fonts, a specification like "the bold version of AR PL
Mingti2L Big5 is Kochi Gothic" or "the italic version of AR PL
SongtiL GB is AR PL KaitiM GB" would solve a lot of problems
(and is typographically sound).

Regards,
--
Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <a.c.li at ieee.org>