[Fontconfig] A question about font styles

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 06:32:15 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 09:49 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 8 o'clock on Mar 7, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > I don't want to have overspecified font descriptions
> > where we have *both* a textual description of the style and also
> > CSS properties. What font is selected when those conflict?
>
> Hand them all to fontconfig and let it sort this out.  When specified, and
> explicit style name always overrides the CSS style values.

When someone asks me what happens in a corner case, the last thing I
want to do is say "I don't know, go ask Keith" :-)

Would you count it as expected that:

 desc = pango_font_face_describe (face);
 pango_font_description_set_weight (desc, PANGO_WEIGHT_BOLD);

 /* Use desc */

Ignores the call to set_weight? (because describe() sets some
"face name" field) There is a considerably conceptual advantage
to having PangoFontDescription not be over-specified, and I'm
reluctant to give that up.

Regards,
						Owen