[Fontconfig] Re: fc-cache sometimes looses fonts

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 1 18:00:46 EST 2005

James Cloos wrote:

> Patrick> So I was suggesting this slightly evil thing.  If you call
> Patrick> FcPatternGetString for an FC_FILE, then fontconfig will
> Patrick> silently append the path of the cache file to the path of the
> Patrick> file. ... ... ...  The result is that no changes are visible
> Patrick> from the outside; no version number bumping or recompilation
> Patrick> required.
>
> OK.  I get it now.  Looks perfect.

I've implemented this now.  It was kind of messy, I guess, because I had
to also copy the full pathname whenever I was duplicating an FcPattern
(and this happens a number of times).  It would be nice if I could think
of a simpler solution, but this seems to work.

So, we have basenames in caches; these basenames are relative to the
cache file's (conceptual) location.  (Even if we stuff them all in /var,
we know what directory the cache file belongs to.)  So you can move your
directories all around the drive, or mount them in different places, and
things should continue working.

pat