[Fontconfig] conf.d and fake embolding / italics

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Nov 6 15:42:09 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 17:06 -0500, Patrick Lam wrote:

> I don't have anything against creating
> /etc/fonts/conf.d/artificial-embolden.conf.  However, it seems that the
> system administrator can simply create the following
> /etc/fonts/local.conf file:
>
>          <match target="font">
>                  <!-- check to see if the font is just regular -->
>                  <test name="weight" compare="less_eq">
>                          <int>100</int>
>                  </test>
>                  <!-- check to see if the pattern requests bold -->
>                  <test target="pattern" name="weight" compare="more_eq">
>                          <int>200</int>
>                  </test>
>                  <!-- set the embolden flag -->
>                  <edit name="embolden" mode="assign">
>                          <bool>false</bool>
>                  </edit>
>          </match>
>
> and similarly for italics.

When I tried that - it did not work, I still received double embolding.
I will try again - perhaps I did not have the syntax perfect. I'm pretty
sure that is exactly what I tried (amongst other things).

If it works, I'll close the fedora RFE and report back.

The issue I'm trying to deal with is font vendors that use a different
family name for each face - IE

LucidaMonoEFOP-Roman
LucidaMonoEFOP-Bold
LucidaMonoEFOP-RomanItalic
etc

One solution is of course to edit the fonts so they are in the same
family.

The problem is I'm working on a project that is suppose to "be like
iTunes but for fonts" (fonts can be previewed, and when purchased -
installed for use), and changing the font from how the vendor
distributes it is not acceptable, the font store can not do that.