[Fontconfig] Re: Fontconfig Digest, Vol 4, Issue 10

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Nov 13 01:23:01 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 07:56 +0000, Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
> I've seen so many different ways to create aliases, but I haven't been
> able to have it to work...
>
> Basically, I'd like to:
>  - display Arial when a web site asks for it AND if Arial is installed
> on the client's computer
>  - display Arial when a web site asks for Helvetica AND if Arial is
> installed on the client's computer
>  - display Nimbus Sans L when a web site asks for Arial and the client
> doesn't have Arial
>  - display Nimbus Sans L when a web site asks for Helvetica
>
> How could I do that?
> Thanks,

I believe the following would do it.
Confirmation would of course be appreciated - I don't have the exact
fonts to test myself. I believe the default fontconfig file will do
exactly what you want w/o modification, but I could be wrong.

<alias>
  <family>Helvetica</family>
  <accept>
    <family>Nimbus Sans L</family>