[Fontconfig] Re: Structure of cache files

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 6 02:00:13 EST 2005

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Sorry, but I strongly disagree here. You cannot call such a file
> "platform-independent". This goes completely against the spirit of the
> FHS, and against the Unix way of doing things. Will you tell me how, in
> a real-world configuration, you're going to automate cache generation on
> a /usr/share directory shared between several platforms?

Once the cache file is properly initialized on all platforms, then it
sure looks like a platform-independent file to me.  For cache
generation, it's just a matter of running fc-cache a number of times,
rather than just once.

It's also not like fontconfig will die if a cache file is not properly
initialized for a particular architecture; it will then just cache the
fonts in the local cache file.

pat