[Fontconfig] Re: Structure of cache files

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Sun Oct 9 08:39:45 EST 2005

Le mercredi 05 octobre 2005 à 10:44 -0700, Keith Packard a écrit :
> I think the architectural neutrality isn't the real issue here, but
> rather the lack of formal package management for these files.

Both are issues. The need to generate cache files for all architectures
is a waste of disk space and doesn't account for the way packaging
systems work.

> I suggest that allow each configured font directory to be mirrored into
> the /var/cache hierarchy and store the cache files there; essentially
> doing a directory prefix mapping (/usr/share/fonts
> -> /var/cache/fontconfig) and appending the rest of the path normally.
> This will allow the existing naming mechanisms to be used as-is.

It would indeed solve both problems simultaneously.
Maybe, for performance, would it be better to
use /var/cache/fontconfig/$hash.cache files, $hash being generated from
the original pathname ?

> Directories which do not have such a mapping (~/.fonts) will be handled
> as they are today, with cache files stored in the directories
> themselves.

> Should I give this a try? Does it seem like a good solution?
>
> If we do this, what would you think about removing the
> whole /var/cache/fontconfig heirarchy when fontconfig was purged?

Yes, that would be mandated, just like for any /var/cache hierarchy.

Regards,
: :' :           josselin.mouette at ens-lyon.org
`. `'                        joss at debian.org