[Fontconfig] blacklisting doesn't work

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Oct 23 02:46:49 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 09:26 -0400, Patrick Lam wrote:

> but this doesn't check for config updates.  I still think we need an
> extra clause checking the whole cache file against the whole config
> file, otherwise fontconfig will be impervious to changes in the config.

It doesn't matter -- each global cache entry has a private timestamp
which is compared only against the font file timestamp. The directories
which aren't in the per-dir cache system are *always scanned* and
compared with global cache entries. This means that any changes in the
configuration will automatically get reflected in the cache file.

For example -- a configuration which excluded the file 'foo.pcf' would
cause the global cache to not contain this file when generated. Each
time a program was run, it would scan the directory containing 'foo.pcf'
and again skip it, leaving it out of the global cache.

Now, when the configuration is changed to include 'foo.pcf', the next
application run will scan the directory containing 'foo.pcf' and this
time it *will* include it in the cache. All without caring about the
configuration timestamps.

-keith