[Fontconfig] mmap branch vs gnome-terminal

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Sun Sep 11 15:17:30 EST 2005

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Here is another problem I met after installing the mmap branch
> fontconfig system-wide on my system. gnome-terminal doesn't
> seem to find fonts anymore. I haven't yet tried to follow all the
> fontconfig pattern manipulation done in vte, but it seems to
> trigger an incompatibility.
>
> A similar problem seems to affect the previews in the font capplet,
> which also seem to pick up a very small font size.

I have fixed this problem.  Let me know if that clears up the problem
for you.  Tomorrow (after I get back from sailing), I intend to write up
some quick docs of the cache format and see if I can whip together an
fc-dump binary; then I'll package the development snapshot 2.3.90.

keithp: I've added the FC_RENDER member back to the FcBaseObjectTypes
array; it was previously commented out.  We do put FC_RENDERs into
FcPatterns, although I guess that we don't write them out to disk.  So
fontconfig was trying to write an FC_RENDER element into an FcPattern,
failing, and bailing.  Does this look like the correct solution to you?

2005-09-11  Patrick Lam  <plam at mit.edu>

        * fontconfig/fontconfig.h:
        * src/fcname.c:

        Add a global binding for the 'render' pattern element used by
        Xft; the lack of said binding prevented programs from using
	FcPatterns in Xft.

pat