[Fontconfig] Status about fontconfig CVS regarding cache handling

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at mandriva.com
Tue Feb 7 03:04:03 PST 2006

Le lundi 06 février 2006 à 21:39 -0500, Patrick Lam a écrit :
> Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > Well, just to let you know : cooker folks are screaming a lot :(
> >
> > Many seems to have an old ~/.fonts.cache-2 file which get in the way to
> > force a entire cache regeneration for each application start.
> >
> > I haven't been able to spot the problem precisely yet.
>
> Any news?  fontconfig should now erase bad global cache files, so it
> should only happen once...

I can confirm fontconfig erases bad global cache files.

But I found a way to cause fontconfig to never update cache correctly
with the following test case :
-clean your cache completely : rm -f /var/cache/fontconfig/*
-run fc-cache -v to get a consistent cache
-put the attached old fonts.cache-2 (before cache was moved
to /var/cache/fontconfig) in /usr/share/fonts/ttf/big5
-run fc-cache -v => cache is updated for this directory
-run fc-cache -v again => cache is updated AGAIN for this directory and
is growing (check in /var/cache/fontconfig..)
-remove fonts.cache-2 from the directory
-run fc-cache -v several time : each time, cache is updated and grow.

I've attached the file to put in big5 directory as well as the broken
cache which is generated in /var/cache/fontconfig and the good one.

This problem is not visible when using non-root applications because
missing cache will be stored in ~/.fonts.cache-2 and won't get updated.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandriva.com>
Mandriva