[Fontconfig] Development release 2.3.94: island of stabililty?

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 24 11:46:04 PST 2006

I guess this is even more overdue than previous releases.  Since we have
a few reports of stability (or broken email clients) and a request for a
new release for testing purposes, here's 2.3.94.

fc-cat can take directories as input and creates old-style fonts.cache
listings.
fc-cache takes -r --really-force which blows away all old caches and
regenerates.
Robustness fixes, integer overflow fixes (notably to cache handling
code), toast broken global cache files.
Change binary format to make it compatible with static langset
information (thanks to Takashi Iwai).
Open hashed caches before fonts.cache-2 (Takashi Iwai).
Fix FcFontSetMatch's algorithm, which used to unjustly kill fonts for
not declaring certain elements (Takashi Iwai).
Fix matching bug when multiple elements match; don't use
the sum of all scores, but the best score (James Su).
Make fc-lang more friendly to Windows systems.
Remove archaic chars from Georgian charset; add Euro character to
charsets for European languages.
Fix treatment of broken PCF fonts that don't declare family names.
Pass O_BINARY to open if appropriate (reported by Doodle).
Normalize font directories to the form in which they appear in
config files.
Add a record of the cached directory to the cache file.
Perf optimizations (Dirk Mueller; some reported by Michael Meeks.)
Don't loop infinitely on recursive symlinks.
Make 'make distcheck' work with automake 1.6.3.
Replace 'stamp' target with mkinstalldirs.
Don't stop scanning if a directory in fonts.conf doesn't exist,
because subsequent directories might exist.
Put directory names into global cache (reported by Ronny V. Vindenes).
Treat zh-hk fonts differently from zh-tw fonts.  This patch may cause
fontconfig to treat A-X fonts differently from A-Y fonts; please mail
the fontconfig list if this causes any problems.
Fix for unaligned memory accesses (Andreas Schwab).
Fix treatment of cache directory as read from cache file; don't use
string equality to determine if we have the right file, use inode
equality.
Properly skip past dir caches that contain zero fonts, as occurs
in global caches (reported by Mike Fabian).
Print out full pathname in fc-match -v (reported by Frederic Crozat).
Fix bug where fc-match crashes when given __DUMMY__ property to
match on.

The MD5sums are:

53e47ee271a4e018025d416a0e2dc9df  ChangeLog-2.3.94
362ca8b2168b20d30838700238015811  fontconfig-2.3.94.tar.gz

pat