[Fontconfig] Re: fix for unaligned accesses

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 25 07:32:18 PST 2006

Mike FABIAN wrote:
>>Why would you want to do that?  It seems like it would be flawed unless
>>you got a canonical path for the directory anyway.
>

> Only because it used to work like that and it is a bit confusing if
> the behaviour changes suddenly.
>
> To get information about unknown fonts, I used to put them in some
> temporary directory and call "fc-cache ." there, then I looked into
> the cache file.
>
> As the caches are now (usually) generated in /var/cache/fontconfig, it
> has become a bit inconvenient anyway to find out which cache file
> belongs to which directory, therefore I guess you are right that it
> doesn't matter to loose that behaviour.
>
> If I want to check what cache files are generated for some new,
> unknown fonts, I'll have to add the temporary directory to
> ~/.fonts.conf now.
>
> That's no big problem, therefore I think you are right that we
> can forget about directories which are not subdirectories of
> directories listed in a .conf file.

What about if fc-cat . did what you wanted?  I think that would be
helpful, although I'm trying to fix the issues with the cache file
directories first; it would be great if someone else made fc-cat work to
print out directory font information.

pat